Western Owl Outfitters
Sick tired of tossing, turning, and trying to get comfy when camping?
Pick up a sleeping pad from Western Owl Outfitter & get ready for the most comfortable sleep of your camping career!
To find out more behind how Western Owl Outfitters got its start and what’s in store for the future, Josh interviews Western Owl Outfitters founder, Feras Almusa
More about the episode…
Josh sits down with Western Owl Outfitters founder Feras Almusa. Western Owl Outfitters is an outdoor company born to improve on existing gear on the current market, starting with sleeping pads. Long time entrepreneur and outdoors enthusiast Feras Almusa originally started Western Owl to encourage people to engage in nature and, immerse themselves in the beauty this planet has to offer. Feras chose to start with sleeping pads because it was a piece of gear that needed a serious upgrade in terms of quality and performance however, this is just the beginning for this booming brand with many great products on the horizon. Join us as we put Western Owl Outfitters under the microscope to examine it’s past, present, and future.
Have an opinion? We want to hear it! Join the conversation and leave a comment, check out show notes, and get all the links mentioned in this episode below
- Check out Western Owl Outfitter’s website
- Grab a Western Owl Outfitters sleeping pad of your own!
- Follow Western Owl Outfitters on Facebook
- Reviews of Western Owl Outfitters sleeping pad
- What is Western Owl Outfitters all about?
- “It’s definitely a family business operated by myself, my wife helps me on the side and, we have a firecracker who is a 2 ½-year-old, my son. Really, the inspiration came from him. I wanted to build a business or a connection between me and my kid to go outside in the wilderness…”
- Did you always have that innate drive to start a business of your own?
- “I’m from Jordan originally…I’ve always loved the outdoors and I loved surrounding myself with animals…I’ve always had this sense of building a businesses on the side…”
- What did you do before you started Western Owl Outfitters?
- “Alongside my wife, we created two businesses one of them in the skin care space and another in pet supplies, environmentally friendly pet supplies…”
- What makes Western Owl Outfitters stand out?
- “Besides really good quality, we have a huge mission for Western Owl Outfitters… The mission for Western Owl Outfitter is to empower every single person to go outdoor, disconnect form the technology that we’re putting ourselves into and try to connect with real nature…The second is we really focused on the production of the very first product we produced… We asked a lot of campers and a lot of hikers what was the most important things they needed in a sleeping bag…”
- Did you have a lot of experience dealing with supply chains?
- “Fortunately I made a lot of mistakes in my life when it came to supply chain management. My background is in professional project management and corporate finance…”
- How did you get your rapid growth so quickly?
- “With the marketing skills I’ve developed in the passed three years, I’ve developed a strategy to launch products, either on Amazon or on Shopify…The most important thing, if you’re giving a very good value to people that resonate with you, chances are they’ll buy your product…”
- Did you have any mentors that helped you build Western Owl Outfitters?
- “…I listen to a lot of podcasts and if you think you can know it all, you’d be shocked how much one piece of information can change your life…”
- What is your commitment with sustainability?
- “This is a product that will last you for years and years to go…We wanted to make sure our product doesn’t get damaged really fast and it stays well put together…”
- What would you say has been one of the hardest parts about starting Western Owl Outfitters?
- “There were a lot of setbacks. When started with the idea of starting Western Owl Outfitters I initially started thinking about it in April, 2016…The initial investment was really expensive and I had to do it on my own, I didn’t do any Kickstarter or crowdsourcing. I think one of the biggest hurdles to create these kinds of companies and create your own brand is to be able to have that fund that you’re willing to risk…”
- What advice would you give someone that wanted to start a business?
- “Know your people, know your audience, know who you want to serve before you go and buy a product and decide to put it on a marketplace. Make sure you really understand what ocean they fall under…”
- Where do you see Western Owl headed into the future?
- “I’m already in the process of developing our second product. In five years, I would love to cover a lot of the outdoor gear, potentially in the tents and sleeping bags area…”
- What does a normal day look like for you in regards to Western Owl Outfitters?
- “My days are pretty funny. We do a lot of work on Amazon because I sell on Amazon a lot…My wife manages our website and we talk to a lot of suppliers and a lot of customer experience believe it or not…The reason why still do customer experience is because I really want people to hear us and know who we are…”
- What’s the best part about running Western Owl Outfitters?
- “The best things about it is spending time with my son out in the wilderness…I really want to grow this company with my son…This connection that’s happening, this could be his future…”